There are many creative ways to make brownies healthier. Here is one that we love by Daphne Oz. You would never know that the healthy ingredient was sweet potato!
Sweet Potato Bites
SWEET POTATO BROWNIE BITES
• 1 large sweet potato
• 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
• 1/3 cup hot coffee
• 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
• 2 eggs
• 1/2 cup light brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
• 3/4 cup cocoa powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Place a large sweet potato in a microwave and cook on high for 5 to 7 minutes or until completely softened. Scoop out of the flesh and discard the skin. Set aside 1 cup of flesh.
Place the mini chocolate chips in a bowl. Pour the hot coffee over the chocolate chips and stir to melt the chocolate. Set aside.
In a large bowl, stir together the reserved sweet potato, butter, eggs, sugar and vanilla. Add the chocolate coffee mixture to the sweet potato mixture and stir to combine.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt. Add the dry ingredient mixture to the sweet potato mixture and stir just to combine.
Using a mini muffin tin, fill the cups 3/4 of the way with brownie mixture. Place in the oven to bake for 8 minutes.
1. Heat up leftover coffee or espresso.
2. Alternatively, roast the sweet potato until fork tender, for a sweeter, more developed flavor.