QA60: How do I use a spacer?
- Take off the cap, shake the inhaler and attach spacer
- Breathe out all the way. ( This is tougher for younger kids and ok if not fully achieved.)
- Place the spacer mask around the mouth with a good seal or mouthpieces in mouth with a good seal. (We are happy to demonstrate this to you in the office.)
- Press down on the inhaler and, within 5 seconds, begin to breath in slowly through your mouth
- Keep breathing in slowly, as deep as possible, and hold breath for 5-10 seconds . (For young children or children who are coughing too much to hold their breath, it is acceptable to have them take 6-10 breaths per puff.)
- Repeat the process depending how many puffs your provider recommended. For rescue medications like albuterol or proair the usual dose is 2 puffs and you should wait 1 minute between puffs.